Monday, May 11, 2009

I'm Not A Hater.......Or Am I?

No matter how many people like to say that they hate the direction Hip-Hop is going in as a culture I beg to differ. You have great veteran MC's releasing quality material. There's also promising new jacks coming along and changing the way we look at rap altogether. And probably for the first time we are a truly "global" movement instead of being dominated by one section of the U.S. The beats and styles are more eclectic and more lanes are being created for certain types of music to get to the masses.

But let some cats tell it EVERYTHING about Hip-Hop sucks. Everything except what sounds good to them. If you don't agree with them you risk being called the most despicable, heinous, blasphemous term in the history of mankind...........


HATER!!!!
(gasp) F*** That!! I'm going get my gun!!
In an earlier post I stated that due to the definitive line drawn in the sand, Hip-Hop's fans have devolved into some sort of tribal warfare when it comes to the music they love. There should be no need to take sides because this is just music by the way. But more and more, you find people being brainwashed into liking something they probably wouldn't just to avoid being called a hater. And for the sake of full disclosure I'm no different from the rest. I'm going to give you a transcript (from the best of my memory) of a phone call I had with a friend of mine a few days ago.
Friend: Mayne, I'm going get the new Souljah Boy album.
Me: You're joking right? Dude, you're almost 30!
Friend:I know but I heard like 3 joints that I'm digging of it.
Me: What's next? You going get some rainbow colored Bathing Ape shoes
with a pink camoflage Bathing Ape hoodie to match?
Friend: Nah man, I'm just saying. You don't like "Turn My Swag On"?
Me: It's alright but we retiring the term "swag" they killing it.
Friend: Awww man why you being a hater?
I was already around the corner from his house in all black with my ski mask and 9mm when I realized something. I was hating. Who am I to judge someone else's musical like and dislikes? If he wants to jump out the bed and get his "swag on" why should I stop him?
Individuality has always been on of the cornerstones of Hip-Hop. From Run-DMC rocking all-black denim with Adidas to today's cats rocking nut huggers, auto-tuning themselves until they don't recognize their own voices, it all started with someone or small group doing their own thing. Its something that we as lovers of this culture should respect.
That's one reason why I'm afraid to review music on this blog because I don't want to be held responsible for other people not liking your music. But who's to say my opinion is the end all, be all? We are all different at the end of the day and whatever gets your neck to jerk, that should be what makes you happy.
So after much self analysis I realized that yes, I AM A HATER, and I offer you my sincerest apologies. But don't let that stop you from enjoying yourself because my opinion doesn't count for much
Go ahead. Get your "swag" on.

No comments:

Post a Comment